Friday, January 2, 2009

Our family tradition

When I was 14 my mother gave me a gift - she started a tradition. She took me to my first Nutcracker performance. Every year since I was 14 I have been going to the Nutcracker. My children have been since they were in my tummy. I cherish this tradition. I thought I wasn't going to be able to go this year. Money is tight, as it is for everyone, and I could not see spending the money on the ballet this year. I was fortunate to find out that Nevada Ballet was reducing their tickets 50% for a couple of performances. I jumped on the chance to go. I had given up any hope for going so this year it was extra special. Blake threw a big fit as we were walking out the door and didn't want to go. I made him go. About half way there he stopped pouting and started talking to me again. I think the best part of the ballet this year was watching him. He sat on the edge of his seat for most of the show. He was enthralled by the story. At intermission we went to take pictures with the Nutcracker and the Sugar Plum Fairy Princess. Blake had to have a Nutcracker so I got him one. He ended up sleeping with the Nutcracker. In the morning, he placed it next to the other Nutcrackers (I have a collection). He is very proud of his Nutcracker. For a little boy that didn't want to go he sure got into the Nutcracker.


I am so glad that I can pass this tradition down to my children and have them love it as much as I do. Thanks mom!

2 comments:

FrankNApril said...

Lisa,
That is so cool! I am glad you got to go.
Happy New Years! April

The Pemberton Family said...

That is so special, Lisa! I'm so glad you found a way to keep up with things that are really important. You're an awesome mommy!

playlist